Thursday, January 9, 2014

Having a pretty calm day today, always a good sign i suppose. I got a good nights sleep and was able to sleep in again. Weirdly enough, I've slept 10x better here than I ever do at home and this private room is really helping with that. Kyra and mom got here right when I woke up and they convinced me to get out of bed and go down for a walk. The cleveland clinic really is an amazing place. There are so many people here, doctors, nurses, patients, visitors, its literally packed with people walking around. There is such gorgeous and interesting art everywhere and its fun to walk through the buildings, people watch, and look at al the sculptures and such. So, i trekked it down to joseph beth and did some browsing and then went up to the "rooftop" which is a floor in the glickman tower that has an amazing view of all of cleveland. We sat up there for a while looking at the lake and downtown. Its really relaxing up there, lots of employees and patients were up there having lunch and they even offer yoga and relaxation classes up there. After our little excursion i was pretty exhausted and kyra and i came back up to take a nap. Unfortunately, only one of us was able to sleep and it wasn't me. In the afternoon i was paid a visit by my regular GI doctor (he's not the one "treating" me in the hospital). We talked about what were going to do next. The infection throws things off a little bit and he wants to wait about a month to start the cimzia, which is what i will be taking for crohns "upkeep". The cimzia is a drug in a family of three that have been successful for people with crohns. I have taken the first two already unsuccessfully so theres a little bit of doubt about this third one but my doctor thinks that because this time the disease is back in a different location than it was pre-surgery that the drug may be more affective. We talked a bit about how its a little discouraging that the crohns has come back so quick and so strong only a year and a half past my surgery. The surgery was really supposed to give me at least a good 5 years. I have felt better than I can ever remember for the past year, it really sucks this decided to flare up so quickly. Again, what was the most unusual about it is that its in my colon now as opposed to just my small intestine. Having the disease flare up in the colon is a new ball game and essentially much worse than the small intestine in that there are not many surgical treatment options that don't involve getting in ileostomy bag, something i pray i will never require. So for now, the plan remains to continue the antibiotic and the steroid and still to be discharged on saturday. River continues to study away for his CPA exam tomorrow and I'm so sad i can't be there for him to help him study in any way i can. My family have been beyond supportive this week and i could literally not have gotten through this week without them. My mom took off work and was here cleaning my room and making sure i was comfortable, my dad did his work downstairs all week and came up to keep me company, and kyra was a source of endless laughs, smiles, and even some tears. Can you imagine being home for your college winter break and spending it at the hospital all day…she's the best. Even though Alli couldn't be here she's been texting and calling everyday for updates. Its so comforting knowing everyone cares. Tonight i gave everyone the night off and I'm sitting here myself watching one of my favorite movies ever, pearl harbor. Hopefully another strong day tomorrow and then, I'm busting out of here! Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment